The Department captures, processes, analyses, archives and disseminates data pertaining to surface water resources availability.
Subject to the Water Act (Chapter 20:24) and ZINWA Act (Chapter 20:25), and any other enactment, the functions of the department shall be—
- To advise the Minister on the formulation of national policies and standards on hydrology
- To undertake research, studies and develop a database on hydrological issues pertaining to or of interest to Zimbabwe and to publish the findings and any other data compiled by the Authority;
- To conduct hydrological and geographical surveys and to produce maps or other information necessary in the planning, development and exploitation of water resources and to publish any such surveys, maps or other information.
Products/Services offered by the Hydrology Section to the Public
- State of Major Dams Report (weekly).
- Hydrological Update Reports for Flood Monitoring and Warnings (during rainy season).
- River flow data/records
- Dam level records
- Evaporation data at selected dams
- Dam silt surveys for assessment sedimentation in the dams.
- Dam yield assessments.
- Hydrological reports for water permit applications (Technical assistance to catchment councils)
- Assessment of Surface Water Resources of Zimbabwe and Guidelines for Planning (Blue Book)
- National Water Permit Database/records
- Hydrological Maps
- Sediment sampling and analysis.
- Development of an Integrated Geographical Information System for storing and analyzing surface water information.
- Design and construction of gauging weirs
- Reconnaissance and detailed surveys of gauging weir sites and natural control sections.
- Fabrication of hydrological consumables (Workshop).
- Repairs, maintenance and servicing of hydrological stations (Workshop).